New to Palo Alto

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

New to Palo Alto

L0 Member

Hello, I am new to Palo Altos. We just took over a company with a Palo Alto and we are taking a look at all of the settings in the device to get a handle on how everything is set up. I wanted to see if someone could clarify something for me. When I looked at what appears to be the internet facing interface, all I see is an IP assigned to the interface. I don't see a gateway or anything like that. I then dug around some more and discovered that it seems as though Palo Altos have you create a default route to the "next hop" in the network which I assume serves as the gateway? Am I interpreting this correctly? Also, would I be correct in assuming that the MGMT interface serves the same purpose as the "LAN interface" on most firewalls? The unit I am currently working with is a Palo ALto 200. 

1 REPLY 1

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

Welcome tothe PAN world. First the mgmt interface is just that, it cannot route traffic. The PAN has a virtual router that controls where traffic flows, Network tab -> Virtual Routers. I would assume that it is in teh static routes section.

Feel free to post any questions as we are here to help out.

Here is PAN's training site that is self paced and well worth it.

https://paloaltonetworks.csod.com/LMS/catalog/Welcome.aspx?tab_page_id=-67&tab_id=20000552

Cheers!

• 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!