Order of preference of source for user and ip mapping

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Order of preference of source for user and ip mapping

L3 Networker

Hello All

If same user information is coming from AD and from other source like Cisco ISE syslog messages then which one takes preference in firewall?

Also who can I verify that both sources are sending user/ip mapping? As I always see source AD using command 'show user ip-user-mapping'

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

You can have 10, 20 (limitless) unique IP to singular user ID mappings.  If your agent has it registered then the host machine the user is on, at one point must have authenticated with the second recorded IPs.

I know I've had 6 or 7 unique IPs tied to my user ID.  (RDPing into servers / VPN ... and whatnot)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

L6 Presenter

I don't think there's a "preference" it's "which has most recently occurred."

If there is an initial update for IP address 1.1.1.1 that came from UIA at 0100hrs.  Then for whatever reason there was a CP/SSO update for the same IP of 1.1.1.1 at 0101hrs this would replace the UIA.  Then another update from ISE/syslog for the same IP at 0110hrs the recent CP entry would be replace.

This is my understanding of how IP mapping works.

@Brandon_Wertz Thanks. It make sense. Also for one user, I am seeing two IP and both source is AD. How is it possible? The user login on domain machine and one entry is showing IP of that machine. He is also login through remote access VPN (integrated with AD) and other entry showing IP is from remote pool. Any explaination of this?

You can have 10, 20 (limitless) unique IP to singular user ID mappings.  If your agent has it registered then the host machine the user is on, at one point must have authenticated with the second recorded IPs.

I know I've had 6 or 7 unique IPs tied to my user ID.  (RDPing into servers / VPN ... and whatnot)

@faizankhurshid,

As @Brandon_Wertz already pointed out the number of IP addresses that a user can be mapped to is a limitless number (outside of the platform limits for UID). I often have users who have upwards of 10 IPs tied to their account due to logging into multiple development or software servers at any one time; one of my System Engineers often have 15+ IPs mapped to his username. 

@BPry @Brandon_Wertz thanks. So one user can have mulitple IP but one IP can only be tied to one user? Like one single machine, mulitple account cannot be login simultaneously? It will give bind IP of machine to last login user?

@faizankhurshid wrote:

@BPry @Brandon_Wertz thanks. So one user can have mulitple IP but one IP can only be tied to one user? 

Yes, an IP will only ever be tied to a single user.  Everytime the firewall gets an update to a specific user ID being tied to a specific IP that new ID will replace what was previously identified as being associated to the IP address.

• 1 accepted solution
  • 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!