Packet Drops under 3.1.8 / 3.1.9?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Packet Drops under 3.1.8 / 3.1.9?

Not applicable

This is more of an FYI than a question. I want to share what my company is going through so we can all learn from each other.

We monitor our network by sending out pings every 500ms. We have multiple ping sources going to scores of endpoints. Then, we correlate and report on the data. We've been doing this for years. We've got a good understanding of what "normal" looks like on the network.

We upgraded a PA-4020 (Threat Protection & URL Filtering, two vwires) from 3.1.4 to 3.1.8. Within hours, that firewall started experiencing "incidents". In each incident, the device would stop passing traffic for up to 15 seconds. Of course, the logs and counters don't show anything abnormal. Every few hours, the system would experience an incident. Sometimes at 03:00, but usually during business hours. It did seem to be somewhat load related. (High load on this box is a few hundred Mbit/sec)

Support didn't seem to believe us that this was a problem. After about a week / ten days, we gave up on getting support engaged to understand the problem, and we rolled back to 3.1.4. Everything has been fine since then.

Since then, we've got support engaged and looking at the problem. They're saying that there haven't been any fixes in 3.1.9 for issues like this. In other words, they're recommending we avoid 3.1.9 as we'll likely have the same problem.

Is anyone else running these versions of code? Do you have good monitoring like this? If I gave you some scripts, would you let me know how it goes?

We do have 3.1.8 on over a dozen other 4020's and it is working fine. Very different traffic loads on those devices and no URL filtering.

We played with 4.0 for a bit... and then went back to 3.1 for stability. Don't even get me started on 4060's: The solution to one of my tickets is "Just keep rebooting until it works".

If you're seeing silent packet drops in 3.1.8 or 3.1.9, you're not the only one.

This is cross posted to http://markjx.blogspot.com/2011/07/pan-silent-packet-drops-in-318.html

2 REPLIES 2

L1 Bithead

set session tcp-reject-non-syn no

set deviceconfig setting session tcp-reject-non-syn no

set deviceconfig setting tcp drop-out-of-wnd no

Set all the above settings and try out.

BIJILESH.

Uh... We had already set these options before we deployed my 20 PAN's.

MJ

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!