Panorama Virtual Appliance V.8

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Panorama Virtual Appliance V.8

L2 Linker

Hi Guys,

I wanna update our  VM panorama currently running the v 7.1.10 to version 8.

my Panorama currently manages less than 10 Devices.

Could someone provide me with the requirements (like storage, CPU, RAMs)  i need to consider?

P.S : Not having Log Collectors enabled and currently running on Panorama- Mode

VG,

Gilo

2 accepted solutions

Accepted Solutions

L7 Applicator

Hi @big_Gilo

It all depends the mode you are going to use: Panorama-Mode or Legacy-mode.

After you upgrade your panoram the VM first is in Legacy-mode. This means you probably don't have to change anything on your existing configuration.

If you want to change to panorama-mode (what I recommend), then everything depends on how much storage you have attached to your existing VM.

Here you can find more details about the requirements: https://www.paloaltonetworks.com/documentation/80/panorama/panorama_adminguide/set-up-panorama/setup...

Regards,

Remo

View solution in original post

FYI: on PAN-OS 7.1, there is only one mode. Only with PAN-OS 8 you have to choose between Legacy and Panorama mode

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

L7 Applicator

Hi @big_Gilo

It all depends the mode you are going to use: Panorama-Mode or Legacy-mode.

After you upgrade your panoram the VM first is in Legacy-mode. This means you probably don't have to change anything on your existing configuration.

If you want to change to panorama-mode (what I recommend), then everything depends on how much storage you have attached to your existing VM.

Here you can find more details about the requirements: https://www.paloaltonetworks.com/documentation/80/panorama/panorama_adminguide/set-up-panorama/setup...

Regards,

Remo

hi @Remo : Thx for your Contribution.

i am not having Log Collectors enabled and currently running on Panorama- Mode

kind regards,

Gilo

FYI: on PAN-OS 7.1, there is only one mode. Only with PAN-OS 8 you have to choose between Legacy and Panorama mode

I would recommend planning on "Panorama Mode" in v8.0.  Legacy is okay for the short-term, but long-term support will focus on Panorama mode.  

If you're going to upgrade and you have enough system ressources, I would recommend to migrate to panorama mode right after the upgrade. The main advantages are a dramatically increased performance in the ACC and Monitor Tab (log queries in general) and the increases local storage capacity of up to 24 TB. Also a nice feature is that you can monitor the local log collector in panorama mode with snmp (global log rate, log rate per managed device, storage capacity, log retention). 

At least for me these reasons were worth the risk to start right away with 8.0.0.

For changing to panorama mode you only have to keep this in mind: the system requirements for legacy mode are more a recommandation, may be panorama will show a warning that you should increase cpu/ram but panorama will run. For panorama-mode these are hard-limits. So if you now have 6 TB of logs you first have to increase cpus to 12 and ram to 32 GB in order to start the migration.

• 2 accepted solutions
  • 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!