PCI DSS testing failure

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

PCI DSS testing failure

L0 Member

We are using SecurityMetrics to test for PCI compliance and have recently started receiving a failure based on TCP/IP Initial Sequence Number (ISN) Reuse Weakness (CVE-2002-1463) for the PaloAlto firewall (5.0.8).

I'm not sure how to remedy the problem within the firewall. There have been no rule changes that should have caused this to start to occur but we have updated the firewall from previous release.

5 REPLIES 5

L7 Applicator

Hello Sir,

If the firewall is failing the test, we would need to get some more information about how you are testing the device and what the firewall is doing that causes it to fail. Both of the vulnerabilities are somewhat old and not modern firewall should be affected by them. We could create a zone protection profile, that gives you control over the how the firewall responds to specific packet based attacks.

The PAN-OS Administrator's Guide has some basic information about zone protection,

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/docs/DOC-6603

Here are two documents that explain how the Paloalto handles TCP connections,

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/docs/DOC-1731

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/docs/DOC-1628

Although, the above mentioned problem looking like a BUG-44798- Weak sequence number generation vulnerability on MP (management-plane) CVE-2011-3188 and CVE-2002-1463. This problem has been fixed in PAN OS 6.0.0.

Thanks

I'm getting the same thing and I'm on PAN OS 6.1.2.  Any more updates on this?

Got a similar PCI DSS testing failure from pcicompliancemanager: CVE-2002-1463 BID : 5387, 8652 TCP/IP Initial Sequence Number (ISN) Reuse Weakness... Currently on PANOS 8.0.12 and find this highly suspect.. Any new details on this?

- J

L0 Member

We are experiencing the same issue from our PCI vendor. It was never an issue in the past. The only thing we've change is updated to the newest software 9.1.11. How did you all correct the problem?

L1 Bithead

It actually happened twice and I ended up reporting the findings as false positives on both occasions. I provided some documentation/information etc. The finding was corrected after an upgrade past the 9.1.13.

- J
  • 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!