RDP over VPN login only works after 2nd time?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

RDP over VPN login only works after 2nd time?

L1 Bithead

I've configured and established succesfully a GlobalProtect VPN connection to my firewall (PA-3020). I want to create a RDP session to a server,I login to the GlobalProtect portal on my Windows 10 client and start mstsc. The first time I connect to the server over RDP the connection fails (returns message: can not connect....), but the 2nd time it succeeds and I get the popup login window.

Do I need to configure something to let it work the first time I connect to the server?

Thnx Remco 

3 REPLIES 3

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@Remco.Tiel Are you trying to connect directly to the IP or are you using the FQDN of the server. It could be that the name isn't resolving correctly the first time and upon lookup on the 2nd DNS server resolves perfectly fine. There shouldn't be anything on the firewall side of things that wouldn't allow you to connect the first time but would the second. 

L6 Presenter

Hi,

If you are pressing "connect" button on the GP icon or in the menu and trying to initiate a session straight away, it will fail. Make sure you actually fully connected before starting the session as GP will take some time to connect ~6-10 seconds. 

GP1.PNGGP2.PNG

L1 Bithead

sorry for the late response! I've found out that with the first connection (also with ping command) it tries to resolve the address via the local interface (different ip address) en from the second on through the PANGP virtual interface.

Remco

• 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!