Split-tunnel not working properly

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Split-tunnel not working properly

L1 Bithead

Hi folks,

Our customer configured split-tunnel on VM to include only certain IP addresses and domains and want to exclude any other traffic, so exclude options are blank. It seems that some traffic is still routed through tunnel (f.e.Telegram, bittorrent etc.)

We tested this config on  panos 10.1.6 as well as on 10.1.10. Also we were testing it on different GP versions, but the result was the same. We sniffed traffic and can see that it is going through tunnel.

I can see in pangps that access routes are successfully pushed to the agent and route print shows those routes. 

It works only if we deny unnecessary traffic in security policy but its not quite what we expect. 

Did someone face the same issue?

4 REPLIES 4

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

Make sure the policy is setup correctly for domains and applications. Also make sure the customer is not subject to any compliance regulations as most, if not all, do not allow for split tunneling.

https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/globalprotect/10-1/globalprotect-admin/globalprotect-gateways/spli...

Regards,

By compliance regulations you mean that it could be controlled from ISP or governance side? 

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

Sorry for not clarifying, when I refer to regulations, yes it could be local/government laws. But it could also mean complying to regulations such as PCI, GRC, FISMA, etc.

Regards,

Hey,

I was testing everything. Here are some new findings. 

- Behavior is the same on two different firewalls in different countries so we don't think that regulatory compliance is the problem.

- This problem doesn't relate to Mac endpoints, only windows is affected. I saw an article when DELL optimizer can interfere split tunnel, but there is no such app on affected endpoints.

Any thoughts about that?

• 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!