Websense's Dynamic Protection against Web Malware

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Websense's Dynamic Protection against Web Malware

L4 Transporter

Yesterday, one of my customers asked me if PAN has or is working on a feature like Websense's Dynamic Protection against Web Malware. Supposedly, Websense customers are protected against known web sites that get attacked and compromised, by automatically blocking them in their ThreatSeeker Network. The example the customer used was when Google got hacked & compromised.  They said that Websense sent out an alert and then blocked Google in there master database until everything was okay and then automatically unblocked it. Apparently, Websense promotes this feature to their customers.

Does Brightcloud have a similar feature?

Thanks,
Jeff

2 REPLIES 2

L4 Transporter

On the PAN side of things there is a "dynamic updates" option, but I too would be interested to know a bit more about how it works.

I'm assuming, using Google as the example that you've given, that if someone wants to visit Google than the PAN would first check its internal Brightcloud database and only uses the dynamic lookup for sites it doesn't have listed?

L3 Networker

Jeff,

From the many articles I have read on this, the attack on Google was a classic case of an advanced persistent threat in which an unknown vulnerability in IE6 was used to give the attackers access to the users Gmail account.  So there is a bit of exageration on the websense side.

Now on to the question. Yes, our DB does have "known malware sites" category that you can block. Using the threat prevention capabilities, you can then apply threat prevention to the allowed web traffic.

Relative to the specific dynamic threat feature, we can arrange for a call with prod mgmt if you think it is warranted.

Matt

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!