What is the difference between a named configuration and device state

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

What is the difference between a named configuration and device state

L1 Bithead

I have a PA-200 that I need to reset to default factory settings, and I usually grab the configuration, export it and then import it, but then I saw "export device state" and how that would speed up the process if I grabbed that right before the reset. I looked around and I am still a little fuzzy as to what the difference between the files are, what does device state have in it that the normal configuration doesn't?

Thank you.

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L7 Applicator

The main use-case for device state (in my experience) is when the PA-200 is joined to Panorama and you want to include any of the elements pushed from Panorama in your device state backup.  Otherwise, you'll have to restore the config, then go to Panorama, then push the Panorama elements to the PA-200.  

Can't hurt to export both the device state <and> the config.  🙂  

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

L7 Applicator

The main use-case for device state (in my experience) is when the PA-200 is joined to Panorama and you want to include any of the elements pushed from Panorama in your device state backup.  Otherwise, you'll have to restore the config, then go to Panorama, then push the Panorama elements to the PA-200.  

Can't hurt to export both the device state <and> the config.  🙂  

Thank you that helps!

• 1 accepted solution
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!