Active/Passive FW with Primary/Backup ISP

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Active/Passive FW with Primary/Backup ISP

L3 Networker

Hi

My ISP will provide an Internet access with primary access and backup access. We have an HA Active/Stand-by firewall. The primary Internet access will be directly connected on active FW and the backup Internet access will be connected on interface on stand-by FW as showing in the following diagram.

My questions are :

- How I must configure Fw if primary access wil be done to continue to have access to Internet via Internet backup access ?

- If Internet primary access is down, how I can configure Fw to maintain VPN IPsec tunnel between Datacenter and SiteA via backup access

- If primary access is down, how I can configure Fw to maintain GlobalProtect VPN connection between users on Internet and datacenter via backup access ?

jeromecarrier_0-1696920457143.png

Regards

2 REPLIES 2

L4 Transporter

Hello Jeromecarrier,

The HA1 link is not a "back-to-back" link for user traffic.

In your setup, you can set each firewall to monitor the default gateway and 1/2 public IPs in the HA configuration.

So if the active cannot reach internet, it moves non functional and the secondary become active.

For the GP access, you can set the gateway list.

Olivier

PCSNE - CISSP

Best Effort contributor

Check out our PANCast Channel

Disclaimer : All messages are my personal ones and do not represent my company's view in any way.

Hello

Thank you. I had few minutes ago an information from my ISP. The ISP plan to configure an VIP between both routers for active and backup internet access. So, I plan to connect eth1 of active FW to active ISP router and Eth1 of stand-by FW on backup ISP router. I changed my drawing like below. In this cas, the trafic will be automatically sent to Stand-by FW if active ISP router is down ? 

jeromecarrier_0-1696931319107.pngjeromecarrier_1-1696931342070.png

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!