PPPOE authentication with Plusnet FTTP not working

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

PPPOE authentication with Plusnet FTTP not working

L0 Member

Hi I wonder if someone can help with this issue, it's a weird one I have a PA-220 firewall connected directly to the ONT provided by BT and I am trying to get FTTP broadband working using PPPOE, the interface on the PA-220 that is connected to the ONT (ethernet 1/1) is configured to use PPPOE however the interface does not obtain a public IP address. The username and password are correct, I can test that they are correct by logging into my plusnet account online or using the plusnet provided router and ensuring it is configured to use the username and password which is identical to the one entered on the Palo alto firewall.

However the logs show an authentication failure, I have also changed the password, and still no luck. I have attached a screen shot of the error in the logs.

Initiate connection:

PPPoE session was initiated for user:xxxxxxxx@plusdsl.net on interface:ethernet1/1

Error:

PPPoE session failed to connect for user:xxxxxxx@plusdsl.net on interface:ethernet1/1. Reason: Failed to authenticate ourselves to peer, LCP down

I have also attached a couple of screenshots of the packet captures for both send and receive

The topology is setup as follows:

LAN network ----> PA-220 eth 1/1 ----> BT ONT -------> BT/Plusnet network

I had the exact same setup with Plusnet VDSL and everything worked fine, any pointers would be massively appreciated thanks.

Please note you are posting a public message where community members and experts can provide assistance. Sharing private information such as serial numbers or company information is not recommended.
1 REPLY 1

L1 Bithead

Hi,

Pretty sure you started the Plusnet forum thread so leaving the link with the solution on page 7 here incase someone else needs it. 

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/PPPOE-authentication-with-Plusnet-FTTP-not-working/td-p/1910...

• 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!