How do I assign SD-wan interface profile to template when all sites have different speeds for fiber and cable.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

How do I assign SD-wan interface profile to template when all sites have different speeds for fiber and cable.

L1 Bithead

How do I assign a SD-wan interface profile an interface in a template with 3 firewalls assigned to 3 groups based on site when each site has different speeds for each ISP? Do I have to go against palo alto recommendations and use 3 templates?

Site 1 Fiber: 250Mbps/250Mbps
Site 1 cable: 600Mbps/35Mbps

Site 2 Fiber: 200Mbps/200Mbps
Site 2 cable: 250Mbps/35Mbps

Site 3 Fiber: 500Mbps/500Mbps
Site 3 cable: 1Gbps/1Gbps

4 REPLIES 4

L1 Bithead

I can't be the only person doing this right?

L4 Transporter

Hello RobertAdrian,

Not sure what is the challenge here.

In the template, you have your x interfaces, for each interface you have device a sdwan interface profile.
If you have multiple site, you can make multiple template (1 for hub or for site with X ISP ....).

Or ... are you planning to do all the sites on the same template?
In this case, not possible (if you are really needing to have those values to be realistic one).

Olivier

PCSNE - CISSP

Best Effort contributor

Check out our PANCast Channel

Disclaimer : All messages are my personal ones and do not represent my company's view in any way.

I eventually did setup different templates for each site.  However, in the end, I abandoned using PANOS SD-WAN. It was extremely unstable. Palo support worked on the issue for several weeks and was unable to find a solution, so I manually created the VPN tunnels (10 per site) and configured failover using OSPF.

Palo support suggested not using the built-in SD-WAN functionality and instead moving to Prisma SD-WAN. I choose not to move to Prisma due to the high cost.

L0 Member

Assigning SD-WAN interface profiles in a multi-site environment with varying speeds for fiber and cable connections can be managed through proper configuration in your SD-WAN controller or orchestrator. Here's a step-by-step guide:

1. **Log in to your SD-WAN Controller**: Access the SD-WAN controller interface using your administrator credentials.

2. **Navigate to Templates**:
- Find the section where you can create and manage templates for your sites.

3. **Create or Edit a Template**:
- If you have an existing template, select it. Otherwise, create a new template for your sites.

4. **Define Interface Profiles**:
- Within the template, locate the section where you can define interface profiles.
- Create profiles for different types of connections (e.g., Fiber, Cable).

5. **Assign Interface Profiles**:
- For each site, go to the settings related to the WAN interfaces.
- There should be an option to select the interface profile for each WAN link. Assign the appropriate profile based on the type and speed of the connection.

6. **Adjust Bandwidth Parameters (Optional)**:
- Some SD-WAN controllers allow you to set bandwidth thresholds for each interface. You can set these parameters based on the actual speed of the connection.

7. **Save and Apply Changes**:
- Save the template and apply it to the respective sites.

8. **Verify Configuration**:
- Once the template is applied, verify that the interface profiles are correctly assigned to the WAN interfaces at each site.

9. **Test and Monitor**:
- After applying the configuration, conduct tests to ensure that the SD-WAN is utilizing the correct profiles for each type of connection.
- Monitor performance to confirm that traffic is being properly routed based on the defined profiles.

10. **Adjust as Needed**:
- If there are any changes in the network infrastructure or connection speeds, update the interface profiles and reapply the template as necessary.

Remember, the exact steps and options may vary depending on the specific SD-WAN solution you're using. Always refer to the documentation provided by your SD-WAN vendor for precise instructions. If in doubt, consider consulting with your SD-WAN vendor's support or professional services team for guidance tailored to your specific setup.

• 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!