Palo Alto KVM Licensing Issues with EVE-NG

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Palo Alto KVM Licensing Issues with EVE-NG

L0 Member

For Palo Alto Nodes in EVE-NG, when I apply a Trial license to the VMs they become bricked. I can't access CLI, Web GUI, or SSH and they are no longer responding to pings. Can't imagine what is happening here... no error messages either. The Palo Alto VM's I am running are version 10.x and EVE-NG is running 5.0.1-20.

They have 8gb of memory and 4 CPU cores. (I know the trial license suggests to a single CPU for performance)

(I've tried to reach out to EVE's support staff, but so far, they are unresponsive)

Any info on this is much appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3

L1 Bithead

Hello @ian_robertson 

I was able to load image version 10.2.5 into EVE-NG version 5.0.1-19. The image appears to boot up just fine, but I am never able to get past the "vm login" prompt. I tried going into Maintenance Mode and reinstalling the disk image as well as done a factory reset, but the behavior is the same.

From the table below it appears that 10.2.5 is not supported on Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS. This may be the issue in my case.

VM-Series Firewall Hypervisor Support (paloaltonetworks.com)

Spiterman_0-1685148644861.png

Unfortunately, even if you upgrade your EVE-NG it will remain on Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS for now even if the CLI suggests that there is a new release: New release '22.04.2 LTS' available, but EVE-NG is does not run on the particular OS version as of yet:

https://www.eve-ng.net/index.php/how-to-upgrade-eve-community-to-the-newest-version/

Spiterman_1-1685149005909.png

I suggest you don't try to either. I know firsthand know upgrading EVE-NG to 22.04.2 LTS does NOT work! 😂

I reverted to installing in VMware ESXi, but it does come with issues of its own. Let me know if you are able to get it properly spun up in EVE-NG, though. As, I'd much rather run it on there.

Hope this helps!

L0 Member

@Spiterman  I am facing the same issue, did you manage to resolve the issue?

L4 Transporter

EVE-NG is just an additional layer on top of Ubuntu.

and the main thing to see here is the hypervisor version (probably kvm).

You can spin up quickly an Ubuntu 20.04, install kvm package then spin up in command line the VM.

You do the same with 22.04, and see if it works.

then you can maybe compare kvm version between both (I don’t think there is a difference but I guess if the support works on one Ubuntu version but not on the other, there must be something.

eventually, you will be able to narrow down to :

OS / hypervisor / EVE-NG.

Olivier

PCSNE - CISSP

Best Effort contributor

Check out our PANCast Channel

Disclaimer : All messages are my personal ones and do not represent my company's view in any way.

• 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!