Broker VM is grayed out in Agent Settings Profile drop down list when I try to add it to Download Source

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Broker VM is grayed out in Agent Settings Profile drop down list when I try to add it to Download Source

L0 Member

I have fully configured the Broker VM and activated the Local Agent Settings APP (everything is green and working). The Broker VM appears in the drop down in section Download Source in Agent Settings Profile (that I am editing), BUT it is grayed out and I cannot select the Broker VM?? Why am not able to select the Broker VM? What have I missed?

Cortex XDR Pro -> Endpoints -> Policy Management -> Prevention -> Profiles -> Agent Settings (I created a custom Agent Setting Profile) -> edit Profile -> Download Source -> cannot choose my Broker VM (it is listed, but greyed out)

Thank you in advance! Andy

3 REPLIES 3

L5 Sessionator

Hi @AVogel ,

Thank you for writing to live community!

For the broker VM to act as a download source for content and agent upgrade caching, there are some requirements that needs to meet. 

• Supported with XDR agent version 7.4 and later releases and Broker VM 12.0 and later.

• Requires a Broker VM with an 8-core processor to support caching for 10K endpoints.

• Requires the Broker Vto have an FQDN record in your local DNS server.

• Requires you upload a strong cipher SHA256-based SSL certificateswhen you setup the Broker VM.

• Requires adding the Broker VM as a download source in your Agent Settings Profile.

Of all the above, the primary feature to list the broker VM for selection for download source is to add an FQDN to the broker VM. Once added, it is listed down in the agent settings profile to be added as intermediary download source.

Reference: https://docs-cortex.paloaltonetworks.com/r/Cortex-XDR/Cortex-XDR-Pro-Administrator-Guide/Activate-th...

Hope this helps!

Please mark the response as “Accept as Solution” if it answers your query.

Hello and thank you for the information. We have multiple internal domains and I was not careful noting which one was being returned by DNS (by default). Once I aligned the broker domain with our DNS default domain, all worked. For anyone else reading this post, I am not sure the # of cores matter or having a certificate installed (in terms of being able to select a broker VM only) - I had four cores and no certificate installed and it became available once I corrected the FQDN being incorrect for what DNS was returning. Thanks, Andy

Hi @AVogel 

Glad, you were able to fix and select Broker VM in Agent Settings Profile drop down list. Regarding number of cores, yes it matters if you would like to use/leverage BVM for agent installer and content caching then you must use an 8-core processor as mentioned in our documentation. Sharing here for reference:

PiyushKohli_0-1691050659829.png

Link: https://docs-cortex.paloaltonetworks.com/r/Cortex-XDR/Cortex-XDR-Pro-Administrator-Guide/Configure-t...

Hope this helps!

• 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!