Tampering attempt of the XDR agent

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Tampering attempt of the XDR agent

L1 Bithead

Hello, everyone

I found an event called "Tampering attempt of the XDR agent" that was blocked by XDR.
For a description of this event, I tried to see if there was one in the Cortex XDR Analytics Alert Reference, but I couldn't find it.

Details of incidents have been uploaded to the attachment.

yuyangab_0-1691462650614.pngyuyangab_1-1691462656598.png

Is this event a registry tampering event initiated by XDR? Why does XDR perform registry modification operations?

3 REPLIES 3

L2 Linker

Hi @yuyangab,

Thank you for reaching out to Live Community. Please allow me to address your questions.

1. Source of alert is XDR Agent and not XDR Analytics here and the alert is triggered by Behavioral Threat Protection. You can refer the screenshot shared as mentioned the source is XDR Agent and module is BTP.
  2. For more information about Anti Tampering Protection and Behavioral Threat Protection you can refer the provided link: https://docs-cortex.paloaltonetworks.com/r/Cortex-XDR/Cortex-XDR-Prevent-Administrator-Guide/Add-a-N...
  3. Please note that this is a public discussion board and as such we do not advise you to share screenshots from your XDR environment or alert files. My suggestion would be to refer to your Customer Success team or TAC by opening a ticket through our support portal

Regards

Thank you for your reply.

If it is malicious behavior caused by malware, the subject of the alert should be the malware, not the XDR Agent.

For this alert "Tampering attempt of the XDR agent", I wonder if the XDR agent is trying to modify the registry?

L2 Linker

Hi @yuyangab ,

In order to investigate if XDR Agent is trying to modify the registry or not, my suggestion would be to refer to your Customer Success team or TAC by opening a ticket through our support portal

Regards

• 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!