Upgrade agent fails

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Upgrade agent fails

L1 Bithead

Hi team

I am trying to update an agent but it shows me "the installer has timed out" on the logs, I checked upgrades logs and I see the next message "Distribution ID is missing from installation package" I thought that it could be an issue related to agent installer but they exists on the console.

Has anyone had a similar problem?

Thank you!

MarcoA
1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L1 Bithead

Hi team, 

The reason for the problem is MSI thinks this is a clean installation instead of an upgrade, hence our installer expects to have a distribution ID embedded in it.

This issue happens mostly when a previous installation gets interrupted in the middle due to some BSOD/hard system reboot, causing MSI to fail to write the product info to its database. This is a corrupted MSI DB issue.

The MSI installer doesn’t recognize the previously installed version and it is doing a fresh installation which will require a Distribution ID. The upgrade package from the XDR server doesn’t have a distribution ID by design. For the upgrade, the old agent needs to be uninstalled before installing the new version.

MarcoA

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

L4 Transporter

Hello Marco,

Please confirm whether both the packages are in place and you can see both the distribution id?

Ashutosh Patil

L4 Transporter

Hi @MarcoMJ 

Since you are encountering "Distribution ID is missing from installation package" error, could you try /opt/traps/bin/cytool reconnect force <distribution id>. This should let cortex xdr agent connect to tenant.

Hope this helps!

Please mark the response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your query.

Thanks

Thank you for your help!
The agent is already connected to the tenant, it doesn't disconnect. However, I followed your advice , I used reconnect force command and then I tried to upgrade but it didn´t work, the error I mencioned above shown on the logs.

MarcoA

Hi! 

Yes, both are in the console and I can see their distribution id.

MarcoA

L1 Bithead

Hi team, 

The reason for the problem is MSI thinks this is a clean installation instead of an upgrade, hence our installer expects to have a distribution ID embedded in it.

This issue happens mostly when a previous installation gets interrupted in the middle due to some BSOD/hard system reboot, causing MSI to fail to write the product info to its database. This is a corrupted MSI DB issue.

The MSI installer doesn’t recognize the previously installed version and it is doing a fresh installation which will require a Distribution ID. The upgrade package from the XDR server doesn’t have a distribution ID by design. For the upgrade, the old agent needs to be uninstalled before installing the new version.

MarcoA
  • 1 accepted solution
  • 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!