Getting Started

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Getting Started

L0 Member

Greetings--

I'm a data analyst who is adept at using tools like Tableau, R, MS Access, MySQL, and PowerBI to analyze both large and small datasets to find patterns, tell stories, visualize data, etc.  A cousin who first got me on the path for administering Palo Alto firewalls unwittingly set my path toward Cortex XSOAR # as well.  Looking for advice:

- Is anyone in this space both administering firewalls and conducting at least tier 1 security analyses?

- Do advanced data analysis skills translate well to the Cortex space - in particular XSOAR?

- Does someone need to be connected to a larger company to get started working on projects?

It would be ideal for me to get to a point where I'm providing support for a few clients while not making this my 9 to 5.

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone might have.

2 REPLIES 2

L3 Networker

Hey @DigitalAvenger,

It's awesome to know your experience in the data analytics space. Here are my two cents on your questions: 

• XSOAR has the capability to handle automation of multiple use cases, including firewall related ones. We have EDL management, change management, etc. 
  • Data Analytics skills don't translate directly to XSOAR as it is related more to Incident response and automation. However, we do integrate often with tools such as SQL as they make up critical pieces of security investigations
  • XSOAR is an enterprise solution and we have several offerings to help you get started with your automation journey. I would encourage you to join our Slack community and participate in the #demisto-discussions channel, to see what other SOAR members are doing with this tool. 

L0 Member

Sometimes, usually BI skills are typically found in leadership roles. If I have someone that has them at the lower level, should they be skilled at other areas, this is a real skill set differentiator. 

The good thing I find with these tools is, for one you can tell a better story usually than a vendor does and two, BI tools make great sanity and validation checking tools. 

In the same space, I have one for you. If you use the Get Data option in PBI Desktop, select Web and enter your API and parts and header params, how would you suggest I get something like this suggested cURL to XSOAR to work in PBI?

BTW, without this you'll have a hard time validating data in Cortex XSOAR... 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Can-connect-to-API-from-PBI-Desktop-but-cannot-complete-CUR...

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!