Disk space usage not going down when deleting projects

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Disk space usage not going down when deleting projects

L2 Linker

I've been using Expedition for a couple years now and previously when I deleted old projects the disk space used would go down. Recently I installed a new instance on Ubuntu 20 and used the Transfer Assistant Tool to transfer my projects to the new instance of Expedition. Everything seemed to go smoothly, the new instance of Expedition disk size grew to about the same size as my old instance of Expedition. Everything seems to work fine with the new instance except for the disk space used doesn't seem to go down when I delete old projects.

Anyone have any tips on what to check to free up disk space?

5 REPLIES 5

L6 Presenter

@HowsThisWork Could you please verify if the projects you deleted was in 

/home/userSpace/projects , if it is , when you deleted the project , the hard drive space should have more free space.  If it's in other location, you might need to manually remove the files from CLI. 

L4 Transporter

Hello @HowsThisWork 

After performing a "sudo apt-get update" you are removing the unused files with autoremove correct? Generally these files are low in space however the could build up on your root folder. Also to what Lynn suggested verify the project is deleted from the folder path.

I didn't look where the projects were stored before I noticed this problem, but I see my current projects are stored in /home/userSpace/projects. Currently I only see directories for the projects I expect to see, in other words, I do not see any project directories for projects that I transferred from my previous instance of Expedition and have since deleted.

Upon troubleshooting the issue I see that if I create a new project in Expedition and then delete that project then the disk usage goes down as expected. It seems the disk usage doesn't go down only if I delete a project that was transferred from my old expedition into the new expedition.

Yes, I always run autoremove after updates.

Hello @HowsThisWork 

You will need to be a sudoer to see the contents of the project folder, so when you delete them you see nothing within this folder and confirmed you see no change once these files are removed? I performed this test on my machine by deleting project directories then checking the folder path and do in fact see space being freed up. If that process is still being used even tho you deleted the directory you will need to kill the PID using the following command "lsof +L1" this should display the deleted unlinked file path being used and the "kill <PID#>" should kill that process which will now show the freed up space. You can verify the file is now killed and process is now freed up but doing "lsof +L1" verifying it is now killed off and "df -k" to see the space allocation reflecting that.

I hope this answers your question.

• 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!