Easy way to transfer the configuration of PA-220 to PA-440

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Easy way to transfer the configuration of PA-220 to PA-440

L0 Member

We have two PA-220 firewalls that work in both active and standby mode. Panorama is in control of these two firewalls. We are now attempting to move it to PA-440 because of network issues. Is it possible to transfer the configuration from PA-220 to PA-440 from panorama export configuraiton or can I used expedition to do that? I don't see any documentation. Please review the versions listed below.

PA-220 - Version 9.1.16
PA-440 - Version 10.1.8
Panorama - Version 10.2.3-h2

1 REPLY 1

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello @iex2022

thanks for posting.

The target use of expedition is for migration from 3rd party product to Palo Alto. Since these Firewalls are managed by Panorama, the migration should be straight forward. I would suggest below steps:

1.)

Clone Template / Template Stack currently assigned to PA-220 and assign PA-440 to newly cloned Template / Template Stack. If necessary adjust the configuration in Template that is hardware specific to PA-440, for example interfaces.

2.)

Assign PA-440 to the same Device Group as PA-220, then push the Template Stack and Device Group to PA-440.

3.)

If there was no error / issue with pushing the configuration, I would schedule a maintenance window to move cables (or open ports on the switch) from PA-220 to PA-440. Since you mentioned this is a migration with the same configuration, I expect IP addresses assigned to data plane interfaces to be the same, therefore window for cut over might be necessary to avoid IP address duplication.

4.)

If traffic is going through and failover test passed, I would remove PA-220 from Panorama and cleaned up all related configuration.

Regarding versions, there should be no issue. As long as Panorama is running the same version or higher than Firewall.

Kind Regards

Pavel

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.
  • 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!