About monitoring Memory statistics for DP

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

About monitoring Memory statistics for DP

L1 Bithead

Hi all,

How can I monitor memory statistics on dataplane from the CLI (not SNMP)  ??

Regards,

HA

7 REPLIES 7

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@licenselu,

'show system resources' will show the total, used, and free memory stats right at the top of the response. 

Hey @BPry

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't show system resources to view management plane related processes?

For viewing dataplane health I would use the "show system resources follow" command. For historic logs you would then use the "dp-monitor" log (> less dp-log dp-monitor.log)

Hello,

The less mp-log dp-monitor.log command generates a massive output values !!

Which counter indique the memory used on the DP ?

PS: In fact, show system resources gives the mem on the MP...

Regards,

HA

Hey @licenselu

In the output from the dp-monitor, you'd want to start reading from "malloc allocator".

If you have access to PANTS or AutoAssistant tools then you can drop a tech support file in there and generate some cool graphs based on DP MEM utilisation as an aggregate or a per process basis.

@LukeBullimore,

Definitely right. The whole reading thing before second coffee is real hard 😉

@LukeBullimoreHey - are you a PA customer?  Did your SE get you access to PANTS ot AutoAssistant?  If so, on-prem or hosted?

Hey @dberber1

I'm a partner, Technical Partner of the year 😉

Pants is available to ASC Partners

https://asctraps.paloaltonetworks.com

AutoAssistant I believe is available only for CPSP partners

https://autoassistant.paloaltonetworks.com

In which case, your best option at the moment would be to create some graphs in excel based on the data from the dp-monitor.log. This log file is contained in a tech support file or otherwise you can obtain it via SCP:

> scp export log-file data-plane
+ remote-port SSH port number on remote host
+ source-ip Set source address to specified interface address
* to Destination (username@host:path)

Otherwise, reach out to your SE.

Cheers,

Luke

• 7 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!