Any way to throttle MS Updates

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Any way to throttle MS Updates

L3 Networker

All of our instant clones decided to update this morning and it's killing my Internet pipe. 

Is there a way I could limit the amount of bandwidth us for MS Update? Something 

fast and easy?

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Thank you for post @palomed

you can do it with QoS. Here is corresponding KB: https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000ClS0CAK

In summary, you can create an QoS Profile applied to "Trust" interface where you specify one class with "Egress Max Bandwidth" you want to limit windows update traffic to, then under: Policies > QoS you add a new policy, associate this policy with class and under application you can add: "ms-update".

Once you complete the above configuration, only new sessions will match QoS policy. For existing sessions you will have to terminate them first.

Kind Regards

Pavel

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Thank you for post @palomed

you can do it with QoS. Here is corresponding KB: https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000ClS0CAK

In summary, you can create an QoS Profile applied to "Trust" interface where you specify one class with "Egress Max Bandwidth" you want to limit windows update traffic to, then under: Policies > QoS you add a new policy, associate this policy with class and under application you can add: "ms-update".

Once you complete the above configuration, only new sessions will match QoS policy. For existing sessions you will have to terminate them first.

Kind Regards

Pavel

Enabling session rematching might allow for the sessions not needing to be killed for policy changes to take effect. 

Help the community! Add tags and mark solutions please.

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Thank you for comment @LAYER_8

The "Rematch Sessions" is enabled by default and in my own personal experience it did not take an effect for QoS policy. Based on my research, this feature only works for security policies.

Kind Regards

Pavel  

• 1 accepted solution
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!