BBC iPlayer

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

BBC iPlayer

Not applicable

Hi there,

I have a PA5050 running 5.0.4 that I'm in the process of configuring (replacing an ASA). I'm new to PANOS but so far so good!

The requirement is simple, allow access to BBC iPlayer (App-ID exists) but not general web browsing. My first step was allowing the 'app' iPlayer but this requires web-browsing. So I created a custom URL category which allows access to *.bbc.co.uk. This now allows access to iPlayer and I can successfully view the content.

The issue I have with this solution is they can also access the BBC Sports sites which isn't acceptable. I've tried different match criteria in the custom URL category *(iplayer) but this doesn't work as the iPlayer URL is blocked www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer. Ideally I'd like a custom URL category that allows any URL with the string 'iplayer' in it.

The only other idea I've has is adding a new rule above blocking access to sports sites, which seems very messy to me.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Steve

2 REPLIES 2

L6 Presenter

I think only way is a new rule above blocking access to sports sites as you said.Did you try ?

L5 Sessionator

Hi,

For me from version 5.0.0, app dependency is done automatically. IF your app need (like for bbc-iplayer) depends app like rtmpt and web-browsing, you don't have to specify it.

Then just allow your bbc-iplayer should be enough.

V.

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!