BGP - PA2020 - utilization

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

BGP - PA2020 - utilization

L1 Bithead

I am looking to deploy a new router for switching from a single provider to a multihomed setup including some peering. I have PA-2020 for that purpose and wondering whether it will handle full BGP for a few years considering growth of routing tables ? Do you have any experience with BGP on PA-2020 ? How is processor load looks ?
I have 20 Mbit of traffic.
What do you think generally about BGP on NGF ?

4 REPLIES 4

Palo Alto Networks Guru

Hello,

Are you interested in working with the full internet routing table?

Thanks,

Nick

Yes,

I tried setup BGP only with one peer on PA2020 but Management CPU was permanently 100%. I didn't add BGP routes to the routing table.

Regards

Palo Alto Networks Guru

The firewall doesn't support the full internet routing table.  Is there any way you can receive a filtered set of routes?

Thanks,

Nick

Retired Member
Not applicable

Given that full BGP route table is over 300K routes, PA-2020 cannot handle that many routes. The max for PA-2020 is around 2500 entries in the forwarding table. Refer to PA-2000 series specsheets.

http://www.paloaltonetworks.com/literature/datasheets/PA2000_Specsheet.pdf

Better to have routes filtered coming to the PA device or have another router which is more dedicated for the task to handle the full BGP feed.

Regards

-Richard

• 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!