Block page when searching google with safesearch enabled

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Block page when searching google with safesearch enabled

L1 Bithead

Hello,

We've recently enabled safe search on our PA-3020 and noticed that whenever you do your first google search while on google.com a quick block page pops up and almost immediately goes away. Is this to be expected behavior when safe search is enabled?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

L3 Networker

I'm having this same problem. We've been using Safe Search enforcement on the Palo and Safe Search policy via GPO for at least 4 years. I finally figured out that it broke for me when Chrome v70 came out. I'm rolling about 26,000 student computers back to Chrome 69 until I figure out what is either broke or changed in Chrome 70.

-Brad

That's interesting...so is this result only on Chrome 70?  Firefox/IE unaffected?

I'd want to see either the Developer Tools (F12) network trace or PCAP.  Since this is over SSL, you'll likely need to employ SSLKEYLOGFILE approach to view what's happening.

I'm not sure this is the same issue that bbilut is having. This does not seem to be a Chrome only issue as it happens in IE and FF also. The first google search quickly displays a block page from the palo alto but quickly goes away and searches normally. I don't know if this happens because it's applying safe search for the first time or not. Does anyone else experience this while using URL filtering with safe search enabled on google searches?

I have not tested it with Firefox or IE... mainly because we have safe search enforcement set in Chrome via Windows Group Policy. Firefox, does not have really policy support, and I don't think the IE GPO has a setting for safe search enforcement.

I can replicate this every time where it works fine in Chrome 69, and as soon as I upgrade to Chrome 70 the search always get blocked saying you have to turn on safe search (even though it's on via GPO). If I hit refresh or F5 at the block page the search will complete properly in (safe search mode).

-Brad

Looks like the issue I was seeing was caused by Chrome, as I've verified I no longer experience the Palo Alto Block Page when my students do a search.

I just uninstalled and verified

Chrome: 69.0.3497.100 (and earlier) have no issues

Chrome: 70.0.3538.67 - Safe search block page (even though safe search is forced on with GPO policy)

Chrome: 70.0.3538.77 - Safe search block page (even though safe search is forced on with GPO policy)

Chrome: 70.0.3538.102 - No issues

-Brad

Appreciate the update.  We were seeing random complaints of safesearch blocks as well all from Chrome.

• 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!