Block youtube videos after allowing 5 videos.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Block youtube videos after allowing 5 videos.

L3 Networker

Is it possible to allow a user say only 5 youtube video/day and then send customer page saying you have used your 5 videos for today or if someone is watching video for 1hr and then stop youtube video access.

3 REPLIES 3

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Application control in this granularity would be a specialty of Barracuda web filters, I'm pretty positive that the Palo Alto itself doesn't have a way of performing this functionality. 

L3 Networker

the only way I can even think this possible is to use some sort of convoluded method using the API to analyze logs and add client IPs to a block rule after 5 attempts.  you'd have to factor in youtube API if you want to calculate length, but in order to even see a user went to a video directly, you'd have to have SSL decryption, otherwise you won't get anything but the hostname.

@bradk14 I'm not even positive this would really be able to be done with utilizing the API. You would have to query the source IP of anybody who went to Youtube, figure out a way to ignore a session under a certain size, and then you would need to actually have something feed that list of addresses into the firewall and block them until a certain time, in which case the rule would need to be cleared of IPs and start all over again. It probably could be done but it wouldn't be practical at all. 

• 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!