Can't get syslog to work via data port

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Can't get syslog to work via data port

L1 Bithead

Hello folks,

Maybe someone has seen this before. I've got my syslog profile, log forwarding and policy setup the way they should be configured but the only exception is that I'm using a data port and UDP 1514. I've configured a service route and also allowed the syslog server on my interface management profile. The connection between the firewall and the syslog is via a VPN tunnel. I can ping both ways and see traffic for syslog on both firewalls for both IP addresses (syslog and firewall) and there the logs are not getting to my syslog server. The logs are forwarded to Panorama and also using templates so I know the log forwarding profile works. It works for other firewalls. Not sure what I'm missing. Is there log file I can check outside of traffic logs?

Thanks

1 REPLY 1

L7 Applicator

Can you setup a packet capture to verify which interface the logs are egressing?

the possible issues:

• Logs are sourcing from the mgmt port instead of the desired port
    (configuration issue with service routing)
  • Traffic is blocked by a security policy
    (leaving the correct port but not permitted - check the policy logs for your destination ip address in syslog)
  • VPN not permitting the traffic
    (the vpn policy does not permit traffic sourced from the interface
    (run your ping test sourcing from the desired interface: 

ping host 192.168.1.1 source 1.1.1.1

Steve Puluka BSEET - IP Architect - DQE Communications (Metro Ethernet/ISP)
ACE PanOS 6; ACE PanOS 7; ASE 3.0; PSE 7.0 Foundations & Associate in Platform; Cyber Security; Data Center
  • 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!