Change the name for vsys1

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Community Expert Verified
Community Expert Verified

Change the name for vsys1

L4 Transporter

Does anyone know if there is a way to change the name of vsys1? This would be mainly for the identifcation of the vsys in panorama.

My testing says no, but figured I would check the community.

*Reason: we want to change a single vsys deployment to a multi-vsys and would like to continue use of vsys1 but with the name change to identify the purpose of this vsys.

Thank you

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

You probably have configured vsys1 as default vsys in a template. When you change that to "none" I think you'll be able to delete the vsys in panorama.

What I am not sure is if you could have a multi-vsys firewall without vsys1. But this isn't important as you want to use vsys1 again. Anyway when you delete the vsys in panorama and commit, the firewall will keep a vsys1. But this time you should be able to rename it. When you have renamed it the vsys1 will show up in panorama with the new name. When this is done you could create another vsys in panorama with the same name and commit with the option force template values. After that you have the vsys again configurable in panorama with another name than vsys1.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

L7 Applicator

Hi @Gun-Slinger

Did you test with simply renaming the vsys in panorama and then when you pushed the config a now vsys was created on the firewall?

@Remo The option is grayed out in the GUI and see no options for the change in the CLI. I have pinged my SE for any hints of an FR for this since in a multi-vsys environment, the inability to apply a name to vsys1 makes it challenging to really classify the vsys.

I try to remember how I did it but actually it worked 😛

Is it greyed out locally or in the panorama template?

L7 Applicator

Btw. did you already change to multi-vsys or are you right now trying to rename the vsys1 on a single-vsys firewall?

Hey @Remo

Panorama will not let you change it from the default vsys1 (vsys1) in the webui.

The local appliance webui has the field grayed out not allowing any changes.

This is being done on a cluster managed by panorama that has already gone through the converison from s single-vsys to a multi-vsys and the vsys1 reamins unassigned... unless I can find a way to apply a name to it.

You probably have configured vsys1 as default vsys in a template. When you change that to "none" I think you'll be able to delete the vsys in panorama.

What I am not sure is if you could have a multi-vsys firewall without vsys1. But this isn't important as you want to use vsys1 again. Anyway when you delete the vsys in panorama and commit, the firewall will keep a vsys1. But this time you should be able to rename it. When you have renamed it the vsys1 will show up in panorama with the new name. When this is done you could create another vsys in panorama with the same name and commit with the option force template values. After that you have the vsys again configurable in panorama with another name than vsys1.

L7 Applicator

All right, I assume it worked 😉

Nope, it doesn't, at least not in 9.0.2. 😞

When you delete vsys from Panorama, on next push, it get's deleted on a firewall as well.

Any other clever idea? 🙂

Thanks!

Trying to figure this out in 9.0.10 as well... In my case the issue is the template stack; vsys1 says the source template is the read-only template stack itself, which of course is goofy. I tried to create an explicit vsys1, and get no error, but the template stack overrides the vsys in one of its member templates, and in any event the names are always greyed out 😮

@Remo multi-vsys firewall appears to keep vsys1, but are allowed to name it anything you'd like.   Just the ID stays as vsys1, that does not appear to change.   

• 1 accepted solution
  • 10 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!