Convert management-only Panorama to panorama-mode

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Convert management-only Panorama to panorama-mode

L1 Bithead

So I've added a 2048 GB disk:

admin@panorama> show system disk details

Name : vdb
State : Present
Size : 2097152 MB
Reason : Admin enabled

When trying to switch system mode, this happens:

admin@panorama> request system system-mode panorama

Server error : Failed to change system mode from management-only to panorama.
Please add a new virtual logging disk with more than 2048.00 GB of storage capacity to support panorama mode.

Now the "2048.00 GB" in the error message has no meaning because I have tried increasing it and it just cites the next number, what ever size the disk is, it asks "Please add a new virtual logging disk with more than THAT of storage", for example:

Server error : Failed to change system mode from management-only to panorama.
Please add a new virtual logging disk with more than 2150.00 GB of storage capacity to support panorama mode.

I have tried several lab setups of this, same problem on 10.2 and 11.0, on ESXi and on KVM. What am I missing? In prod I have a certain Panorama I need to do this so I'm trying to fix the issue in lab first, to no avail so far.

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L1 Bithead

So this has been resolved now. I had two separate cases. With one case, repeatedly adding and removing the 2TB disk and rebooting Panorama in between eventually solved the issue and after try N, it finally took the system-mode switch command. With another case, this did not happen and the solution was to temporarily add another 2TB disk and then with both of them attached, it finally took the command and switched to Panorama mode.

After the switch has been done, you can happily remove all those (thin provisioned) disks and add as small disk as you'd like if it was a lab setup, e.g. 60GB.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@jkvalk59s  Follow this article it may help you.

Server error : Failed to change system mode from management-onl... - Knowledge Base - Palo Alto Netw...

Regards

MP

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

L1 Bithead

Thank you @MP18 . I have tried those steps and they have not resolved the issue, so I made a support ticket. Sadly, the hopes of getting any support these days are slim, so if anyone has any further ideas, please let me know. There is a link to some further KB hosted on the salesforce platform which I do not have access to, perhaps someone knows what's that about: https://paloaltonetworks.my.salesforce.com/kA10g000000PMCg?lang=en_US#

L1 Bithead

So this has been resolved now. I had two separate cases. With one case, repeatedly adding and removing the 2TB disk and rebooting Panorama in between eventually solved the issue and after try N, it finally took the system-mode switch command. With another case, this did not happen and the solution was to temporarily add another 2TB disk and then with both of them attached, it finally took the command and switched to Panorama mode.

After the switch has been done, you can happily remove all those (thin provisioned) disks and add as small disk as you'd like if it was a lab setup, e.g. 60GB.

• 1 accepted solution
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!