dmz data flow

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

dmz data flow

L4 Transporter

Hi,

Please advise 

Hi,

I have a design flaw . I am trying to test dual dmz . dmz server the gateway is on the dmz firewall . 

If the server in dmz wants to send data to dc server it has to go back through the same switch 

How to avoid this ? 

And also, please  point out pros and cons for the below  design  

dual dmz.PNG

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@simsim,

Your diagram isn't incredibly well labelled, at least to my eyes. I don't see where you have a dual DMZ configured, nor do I honestly fully understand your question. 

@simsim wrote:

If the server in dmz wants to send data to dc server it has to go back through the same switch 

How to avoid this ? 

Why do you think this is a problem that needs to be avoided. Ideally your DMZ wouldn't be allowed to access resources in your DC, but in the event this is needed I would have the traffic separated through different physical switches, or have the DMZ isolated to it's own VRF on any shared switches.

Hi @BPry 

I have updated the diagramdual dmz.PNG.Hopes it make sense now 

I don't see where you have a dual DMZ configured, nor do I honestly fully understand your question. 

I meand dual firewall dmz ,I want to ask the above design is ok ? 

Ideally your DMZ wouldn't be allowed to access resources in your DC,

what if a web server wants to talk to a DB server inside 

but in the event this is needed I would have the traffic separated through different physical switches, or have the DMZ isolated to it's own VRF on any shared switches.

Please provide a rough diagram 

Thanks for your support 

Hi @BPry 

It would be great if you can reply 

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

A DMZ is just a vlan that is anchored at the firewall. Using two different vendors, no longer makes sense to me in the modern world, especially with PaloAlto. I would simplify the diagram and get rid of the Fortinet firewall. Also make sure all traffic to/from the DMZ serer goes through the palo alto and gets inspected.

OtakarKlier_0-1640036985742.png

Regards,

Hi @OtakarKlier  and @BPry 

Can I  make a DMZ zone in the dc firewall?

In the above diagram which one is good .My purpose is i will keep all web server in dmz and the server has t ocommunicate internal vlan and ldap .Please suggest  dmz 3 types.png

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

I've always been a fan of keeping things simple. There are a few things to keep in mind when architecting networks, some of these are where are the systems that require a NAT from outside to inside (if at all) and what function do all the devices perform. You have a device called 'core' yet in the second diagram, you have a way to bypass it? Depending on its overall function,  I would either go with the first or third diagram. I would also let the PAN's handel the routing and anchor the vlans so that the traffic can be inspected and monitored.

Hope that makes sense.

Regards,

Hi @OtakarKlier 

"you have a device called 'core' yet in the second diagram, you have a way to bypass it? Depending on its overall function"

That is my core device for routing and edge switches are connected. Inter VLAN routing is happening on core 

What does it mean by anchor the vlan ? 

Thanks

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

Meaning the vlan IP for routing etc is on the firewall and the switch is just layer 2 for that particular vlan.

Regards,

• 7 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!