dns-signature cloud service connection refused / kicked-off vpn

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

dns-signature cloud service connection refused / kicked-off vpn

L4 Transporter

VPN just kicked every off for a couple minutes.  I had a dozen logs forwarded to me saying dns-signature cloud service connection refused.  Anyone know if that might be the cause?  When I was able to reconnect to VPN, the # of sessions was 3-5x normal and quickly dropped.

3 REPLIES 3

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@fhewiufhwefhwe,

That sounds more like an ISP, DoS, or Zone Protection Profile issue more than anything else. A high number of sessions that drops isn't shocking after an outage like that, so that's really nothing to go off of. Do you have any external monitoring that could alert you of temporary ISP outages? 

No, I don't have temporary external monitoring.  Do you have a recommendation?  I have looked at downdetector.  I also have internal SNMP monitoring setup, and no alerts were generated.  For DoS / Zone Protection, I am using SYN cookies, and excluding internal zones and the DNS resolvers that we use after finding those policies caused problems with exclusions.

L2 Linker

The "dns-signature cloud service connection refused" is related to the DNS Security feature.  You'll need to allow your firewall management interfaces to connect to Palo's update servers - use the "paloalto-dns-security" App ID in firewall policy (assuming the mgmt. interface outbound traffic will transverse a Palo Alto firewall).  This may cause issues with DNS resolution if not resolved - depends on your policy/anti-spyware profile settings.  I'm not able to make any recommendation regarding your VPN issue without more details.  GlobalProtect?  Site to site?  Generic VPN through the firewall?

https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/pan-os/9-1/pan-os-admin/threat-prevention/dns-security/enable-dns-...

• 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!