downtime for migration from MPLS to VPN with BGP with bgp routing

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

downtime for migration from MPLS to VPN with BGP with bgp routing

L3 Networker

Hello community!

I have currently two sites connected through MPLS and I plan to configure a VPN with bgp routing to migrate traffic.

I am calculating the downtime that may require the migration from MPLS with static routing to the VPN with bgp routing.

I´m considering the following:

- Routes learned from IBGP has default AD = 200 and static route has default AD = 10
- After configuring BGP to route traffic over the VPN I should have the routes learned from BGP installed on the RIB but not on the FIB because the static route AD is lower
- To make the firewall placing the BGP routes into the FIB I will give the AD of the static route a bigger value than the bgp route. 
- After the switch between static-dynamic routing to bring the traffic into the VPN I´m gonna clear all the existing sessions to avoid performance issues.

I think the effective downtime could be not even 5 minutes. What do you think?

Thank you in advance!

1 REPLY 1

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@Carracido

If you are all good with configuration then yes there should be minimal downtime. But as a best practice, you should have Maintenance Window of an hour or two. This is just in case of disaster situation.

Mayur

M
  • 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!