Dual ISP VPN failover with static route path monitor

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Dual ISP VPN failover with static route path monitor

L0 Member

Now that we have newer features like static route path-monitoring, is there a new recommended configuration for Dual ISP with VPN failover?  I'm thinking SiteA (Dual ISP) to SiteB (Dual ISP) with IPsec VPN both using a single VR. 

I assume it will be one static default route with path-monitoring to fail over to the other ISP default route.  Then a total of four IPsec tunnels each with tunnel monitoring and static routes with different metrics?  Or no tunnel monitoring and just do static routes for the tunnels with path-monitoring to fail over to the other tunnel?  With static route path-monitoring feature, I find no need for a PBF configuration in this scenario.  Any thoughts?    

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@fcatapano1,

I don't believe that the official recommendation has changed from the PBF configuration. You are correct however in the fact that route monitoring fully allows you to do the same configuration without ever needing to configure any PBF statements. I've got both methods deployed at the moment and can say the path-monitoring on the routes is my prefered solution. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@fcatapano1,

I don't believe that the official recommendation has changed from the PBF configuration. You are correct however in the fact that route monitoring fully allows you to do the same configuration without ever needing to configure any PBF statements. I've got both methods deployed at the moment and can say the path-monitoring on the routes is my prefered solution. 

Hello,

You could use a dynamic routing protocol such as OSPF and weight the routes so they flow the way you want them. Also if a link goes down, the routing will automatically update since its OSPF.

I tend to prefer this method now a days, however i have also used and still use PBF at times.

Just another thought.

• 1 accepted solution
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!