Dumb question: Are there cases where a configuration change will take effect prior to committing?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Community Expert Verified
Community Expert Verified

Dumb question: Are there cases where a configuration change will take effect prior to committing?

L0 Member

I would like to reconfigure our PA-3260 FW to use its 40G interfaces instead of the 1G interfaces being used in production now. I plan to create one new aggregate ethernet interface made up of subinterfaces that correspond to each of the individual 1G AEs now in production. In the process, I will need to remove the IP addresses in each of those 1G AEs, to avoid having the same IP address on two interfaces. I plan to make the changes now and commit them during a maintenance window.

Out of extreme caution and due to a nagging memory I can't articulate, my question is whether network interface reconfigurations are any different than any other configurations. In other words, are they put into effect only upon committing, or immediately after entering?

Thank you

2 accepted solutions

Accepted Solutions

L4 Transporter

Hi there,

As soon as you start editing, these changes are stored in the candidate configuration. It isn't until you hit the commit button and the process completes successfully that it becomes the running configuration and comes into effect.

cheers,

Seb.

View solution in original post

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello @rpastor

the commit is required for changes to take an effect. If you make changes to the interface, nothing will happen until you commit it.

Only word of caution, if you have multiple Firewall admins who commit all changes (not only their own) they can accidently also commit the changes you staged for maintenance window. The same applies for Panorama managed Firewall. Each time the configuration is pushed by different admin, it will perform "commit all".

Kind Regards

Pavel

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

L4 Transporter

Hi there,

As soon as you start editing, these changes are stored in the candidate configuration. It isn't until you hit the commit button and the process completes successfully that it becomes the running configuration and comes into effect.

cheers,

Seb.

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello @rpastor

the commit is required for changes to take an effect. If you make changes to the interface, nothing will happen until you commit it.

Only word of caution, if you have multiple Firewall admins who commit all changes (not only their own) they can accidently also commit the changes you staged for maintenance window. The same applies for Panorama managed Firewall. Each time the configuration is pushed by different admin, it will perform "commit all".

Kind Regards

Pavel

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

L0 Member

Thank you both.

• 2 accepted solutions
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!