ESXi Bootstrap Cant find init-cfg.txt

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

ESXi Bootstrap Cant find init-cfg.txt

L3 Networker

I'm testing out bootstrapping VM-Series firewall in ESXi. I've followed the documentation in relation to the bootstrap package etc. But for some reason when the firewall boots with the ISO I've created attached it complains that it cant find the init-cfg.txt file. See below error I see in the console on boot.

btsErrorConfig: No init-cfg.txt file found (4)

As per the doco I have put this file in the /config directory on my bootstrap ISO. Below is my root folder structure of my ISO that I have mounted and its contents.

/config
    init-cfg.txt
    bootstrap.xml
/contents
    app+threats package
    anti-virus package
    wildfire package
/license
    <empty> using Panorama for licensing. See my init-cfg.txt file
/software
    <empty> keeping base image version (10.0.4)

Here is my init-cfg.txt file with some redaction...

type=static
ip-address=169.254.0.1
default-gateway=169.254.0.2
netmask=255.255.255.252
ipv6-address=
ipv6-default-gateway=
hostname=
panorama-server=10.1.1.100
auth-key=asdadasdadasasdadadads
dgname=dg_asdf_bootstrap
tplname=tpl_stack_asdf_bootstrap
plugin-op-commands=panorama-licensing-mode-on
dns-primary=10.1.1.254
dns-secondary=
op-command-modes=jumbo-frame
op-cmd-dpdk-pkt-io=off
dhcp-send-hostname=yes
dhcp-send-client-id=yes
dhcp-accept-server-hostname=yes
dhcp-accept-server-domain=yes

Note I also have a bootstrap.xml file which contains some additional configuration on top of the init-cfg.txt configuration.

According to the documentation this should be a valid bootstrap package and ISO, but yet I am getting this error upon boot-up of the brand new VM. Any ideas?

1 REPLY 1

L6 Presenter

Maybe first test without t the connection to panorama too see if it will work as maybe it can't connect. Also test without the bootstarp file  as it is optional.

Test also with 9.1.9 as 10.4 vesion still has many bugs.

https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/vm-series/9-1/vm-series-deployment/bootstrap-the-vm-series-firewal...

https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/vm-series/9-1/vm-series-deployment/bootstrap-the-vm-series-firewal...

• 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!