Experience with "email-link" file type for Wildfire and "one time" links

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Experience with "email-link" file type for Wildfire and "one time" links

L4 Transporter

Does anybody have real world experience with the "email-link" file type for Wildfire and "one time" links? We have concerns when we enable it, that emails which contain links to e.g. registration pages, password reset pages, etc. make problems when the Wildfire cloud already visited that page before the actual user clicks on the link in the email.

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hi @Anon1,

Currently in five days I've had 12168 instances of email-link events on my wildfire statistics and we've been running it on all firewalls I've installed for over three years. I've never had a single reported instance of this feature messing up any one-time links. Likewise we've never been alerted to or noticed any issues with reset pages, registration pages, or anything of the sort. 

I believe that most pages are configured to the point where they require user interaction once the website has been accessed. So reset messages or unsubscribe links and everything else will usually require an additonal screen when the link is clicked; one last ditch effort to keep you from hitting that unsubscribe links and such. Or it's somehow known that Wildfire is the one analysing the link so no action is ever taken, I'm not really sure which 😉

Overall I would call it a safe feature to enable. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hi @Anon1,

Currently in five days I've had 12168 instances of email-link events on my wildfire statistics and we've been running it on all firewalls I've installed for over three years. I've never had a single reported instance of this feature messing up any one-time links. Likewise we've never been alerted to or noticed any issues with reset pages, registration pages, or anything of the sort. 

I believe that most pages are configured to the point where they require user interaction once the website has been accessed. So reset messages or unsubscribe links and everything else will usually require an additonal screen when the link is clicked; one last ditch effort to keep you from hitting that unsubscribe links and such. Or it's somehow known that Wildfire is the one analysing the link so no action is ever taken, I'm not really sure which 😉

Overall I would call it a safe feature to enable. 

L4 Transporter

Hello BPry,

thank you for your reply. It was very helpful.

L0 Member

We had this issue. Our library uses "one-time" links to journal articles, user regs. and other things. 

Wildfire was clicking these links and inspecting them and causing the links to break as they had already been clicked by Wildfire.

Had to whitelist the listservs that were sending the emails so that it stopped.

How do you go about the whitelist?

• 1 accepted solution
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!