GlobalProtect icon disappears from taskbar in Windows 10?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

GlobalProtect icon disappears from taskbar in Windows 10?

L2 Linker

We're having a problem with GP 4.0.6 and 4.1.1 clients on Windows 10 where the icon dissapears from the task bar. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does it causes a fair amount of user frustration. With the 4.0.6 client, I could search for global protect and bring up the connect window. With 4.1.1, I have to kill the the GlobalProtect process, and then it pops back into the taskbar.

Has anyone else run into this and have any ideas of suggestions?

6 REPLIES 6

L4 Transporter

Might be a silly question but do you have "Display GlobalProtect Icon" set to No?

2018-05-15 15_40_20-hq-pan-02.png

I wish 🙂 That setting is "yes". This appears to be a disagreement between GP and Windows 10 Pro, at least in our environment. That I'm aware, our Macs and remaining Win 7 machines don't have the issue. 

I had this same issue, but with GP 4.1 only(and on Win 7 and 10).  This little bug was pretty detrimental for us, since we are "enforcing" a Global Protect connection.  The Global Protect service seemed like it was half-way running.  Global Protect could not connect to the Portal/Gateway, which would then block ALL network traffic(because we are enforcing a Global Protect connection).

I opened a ticket with support, but after a little while of troubleshooting, we just instructed our users to downgrade back to 4.0.x.

@uvdes,

I haven't run across this issue with 4.1.1; but then again I think I only have a handful of people using GlobalProtect instead of AnyConnect. What happens if you close GlobalProtect and stop all of its services and then restart, do you get the icon back? It may be that one of the services enters a funky state occassionally. 

Reawakening this thread. Still a problem up to 4.1.4. I can "fix" it by killing off any GlobalProtect Client procceses, which can be done in a user context even if they're not an admin. Have a case going, but this is really annoying. 

This is still happening to us with Globalprotect 5.2.6-87   ... We are also using Protected Mode.  It happens when a user logs in and is connected to a captive portal network that blocks network traffic or logs in locally with no wifi connection. 

• 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!