GRE and IPSec traffic

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

GRE and IPSec traffic

L1 Bithead

Hello,

Does PanOS 3.1.4 in L3 mode supports GRE and IPSec protocols? We need to NAT this traffic.

Br!

Ahti Akel

8 REPLIES 8

Palo Alto Networks Guru

Hello Ahti Akel,

PAN-OS 3.1 does not provide GRE termination support.  We do support IPSec but NAT traversal is not currently supported.

Thanks,

Nick Campagna

Palo Alto Networks Guru

If you're referring to passthrough traffic specifically, we can NAT IPSec and GRE.

-Nick

I have the similar problem. I have a IPSec terminater that I want to put in a DMZ and need to do a NAT to it, is it possible ?

Regards

Jose Chaves

Yes, this is doable.Configure a static NAT for the VPN terminator in the DMZ. For NAT configuration example, refer to the document

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/docs/DOC-1517

Thx

Jerish

Hi,

Is also dynamic NAT (many-to-one) supported for GRE and IPSec traffic? And how many concurrent GRE tunnels are supported then?

Thanks!

L4 Transporter

Dynamic NAT i.e translation of IP address and port number is not supported for IPSec and GRE traffic passing through a PA firewall.

Couple of configuration workarounds

-1) Enable on NAT-T on the IPSec endpoints.

-2) If the IPSec /GRE  end points have a public IP addresses, you can create a NAT rule with action no-NAT for the IPSec/GRE. This will bypass NAT for  IPSec

if NAT is still required for IPSec and GRE, we do support static NAT or dynamic IP i.e only IP translation and not port numbers.

Hope this helps

Hello Nick,

Are you going to support the NAT traversal for IPsec VPN?

Regards,

Tomoyuki Komure

Palo Alto Networks Guru

Hello Tomoyuki Komure,

We are currently investigating NAT traversal support for a future release.  We can't say at this time when it will be supported.

Regards,

Nick Campagna

• 8 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!