HA timers value - Monitor Fail Hold Up Time - Additional Master Hold Up Time - Doubts

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

HA timers value - Monitor Fail Hold Up Time - Additional Master Hold Up Time - Doubts

L4 Transporter

Hello Live Community, good evening, thanks a lot for your time and colaboration.

I have a question regarding the value of "HA timer - Additional Master Hold Up Time" by default is 500 ms. In the documentation it indicates that this is an additional value to the "Monitor Fail Hold Up Time (ms)" that is to say, how many examples are an Interface being monitored, example at Link monitor level, example 1/19 or 1/20 by default It is at 0, that is, it will not wait long.

However, now I have my doubt, for the value "HA timer - Additional Master Hold Up Time" which is 500ms by default, this value will be added in case I configure something other than 0 in the Monitor Fail Hold Up Time (ms ) ? Or will it always be those 500 ms plus 0, that is, will it always wait for 500 ms? or those 500ms are added to the wait only in cases where I have made an adjustment to the value 0, that is, for example if:

If I configure Monitor Fail Hold Up Time (ms): 300 ms + will be added to the 500 ms of the "HA timer - Additional Master Hold Up Time", that is, 800 ms.

But if I don't configure anything, that is to say 0, by default in Monitor Fail Hold Up Time (ms): 0 ms (default) will the 500 ms of the "HA timer - Additional Master Hold Up Time" be added or not? I am wondering if the 500 ms are added when I adjust the Monitor Fail Hold Up Time (ms ) from its default value, the 500 ms are just added there or there are always those 500 ms when an interface crash is triggered. Is it monitoring or does a flaping happen, that is, it is always those 500 ms, yes or no?

I review the documentation, however it is still not clear to me.

https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/pan-os/9-1/pan-os-admin/high-availability/ha-concepts/ha-timers#:~:text=Monitor%20Fail%20Hold%20Up%20Time%20(ms)  

Thank you everyone for your time, good vibes, comments,collaboration and advices. 

Best regards

High Sticker
2 REPLIES 2

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@Metgatz,

This is added to the configured Monitor Fail Hold Up Time on any active or active-primary node. So if you have the default of 0ms configured for 'Monitor Fail Hold Up Time' and the default of 500ms for 'Additional Master Hold Up Time' then you'll have an effective 500ms delay on the Active/Active-Primary node. 

This process always stays the same, so if you have 500ms on the 'Monitor Fail Hold Up Time' and 500ms for 'Additional Master Hold Up Time' then your active or active-primary node will have an effective delay of 1 second.

Excellent @BPry , thank you for your comments.

OK, so, in conclusion always, by default, even if the main default value is set to 0, the additional timer, which is set to 500 ms, will always wait for that when a HA link monitor event is triggered, i.e. it will always wait for 0.5 seconds/500 milliseconds ?

Thank you, I remain attentive to your comments, greetings.

High Sticker
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!