Has anyone gotten GP user-logon (ALWAYS on) and OTP working together?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Has anyone gotten GP user-logon (ALWAYS on) and OTP working together?

L3 Networker

Hi,

Has anyone gotten GP user-logon (ALWAYS on) and OTP working toghther?

Thanks

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi junior_r,

SSO will try to authenticate against both portal and gateway. So you'll either need to keep SSO on and live with the error message of the 1st auth against the gateway or disable it and enter the username and password on the login screen and GP after login.

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/Featured-Articles/Tips-amp-Tricks-Single-Sign-on-SSO-for-Global...

Personally I think the first option is the best as it is more seamless to users, they will log in on the login window with their username and password and then be prompted for the OTP by GP, they won't see that it has failed the 1st gateway authentication.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

L7 Applicator

As GP tries to connect, do you get a username and password prompt?

Yes but problem is when I logon to Windows it trys to take those creds and send it to Portal, which causes auth errors in LOG. After this I can get in. I want to prevent the first auth error when logging into the PC

So.. to confirm... if you just change the portal config to on demand... does it work ok..

also... are you sure you have sso turned off in portal conf and save password to no.

L4 Transporter

Hi Junior_r,

Are you using the same auth profile for both portal and gateway? I suspect what is happening is that you are trying to do SSO/Authentication twice with the same OTP, so authenticating once against the portal and again against the gateway with the same OTP. Most OTP operators make it so that you can't use the same OTP twice, so your authentication is failing on the second go.

The way to get around this is to use two different authentication profiles, one for the portal and one for the gateway. The portal authentication will be set as your standard login with username and password and your gateway config will have the auth profile set to use the OTP login.

This way you will auth once to the portal with username/password, then you'll need to authenticate again against the gateway and thus be prompted for your OTP code. 

You can combine this with cookie authentication for the portal so after a first successful login to the portal this authentication gets cached and only a single authetncation using the OTP is required.

Hope this helps,

Ben

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the reply. Can I use SSO for portal and use OTP for Gateway when using user-logon? Would SSO try to send creds to to gateway also or would SSO send creds to portal then promote user for OTP for gateway? What if I only enable OTP, user-logon and disable SSO. After user logs on would it promote them for their OTP without them opening GP client?

Thanks

Hi junior_r,

SSO will try to authenticate against both portal and gateway. So you'll either need to keep SSO on and live with the error message of the 1st auth against the gateway or disable it and enter the username and password on the login screen and GP after login.

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/Featured-Articles/Tips-amp-Tricks-Single-Sign-on-SSO-for-Global...

Personally I think the first option is the best as it is more seamless to users, they will log in on the login window with their username and password and then be prompted for the OTP by GP, they won't see that it has failed the 1st gateway authentication.

Thanks Ben this works. 

• 1 accepted solution
  • 7 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!