Help with custom vulnerability signature

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Help with custom vulnerability signature

L4 Transporter

Can someone provide documentation and insight in regards to creating custom IPS signatures based on the follow scenario?

Consider you have an FTP server. The USER command is vulnerable to buffer overflow. How does one create a custom signature to identify and block this activity?

The buffer and payload the attack sends could have 1000 variations.

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L4 Transporter

Go here for Custom Signature help DevCenter

Dominic

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

L4 Transporter

Further info.. if the vulnerability is simple triggered by sending over 20 characters to it...

An attacker could send 100 A's. We could easily build a signature that watches for 100 \x41. But if they sent a payload of 100 \x42 and caused the crash, the custom signature would not match.

L4 Transporter

Go here for Custom Signature help DevCenter

Dominic

Hi SDorsey

I think such vulnerability should already be covered in the stock signatures in threat database. I searched through threat vault for some of the USER command overflow buffer vulnerabilities and found the following:

user_buffer_vul.JPG

Does the threat database not cover the specific vulnerability you are looking for ?

Thanks

As oppose to being on a specific vulnerability, this is more a general inquire to try to understand how the IDS signatures work. In preparation for the need to create custom ones. And I know for sure that FTP USER overflow list is missing a few. Smiley Wink

I created a new thread in DevCenter

General help with custom vulnerability signature

• 1 accepted solution
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!