Host machine behind Palo Alto VM firewall

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Host machine behind Palo Alto VM firewall

L0 Member

Hello all,

I am running PAN-OS 10.0.1 VM series firewall in VMware workstation. Currently I have a windows 10 VM machine behind the firewall. My interfaces are set to eth1/1 is the outside interface which is set to my home network. Eth1/2 is my inside interface which is set to a 172.x.x.x/24 subnet. I have a default route point to my home route to allow internet access for the inside network.

This is all working correctly but I want to change it so that my host machine (physical laptop) passes traffic through the firewall, to the router, and out the router. The VM firewall will not be my edge device as i am running the VM on VMware.

All of this will be done over ethernet and not wifi as I dont want all my devices on my home network going through the firewall just my laptop.
I have tried looking everywhere online for this setup but most people seem to be using VM machines behind their VM firewall.

Could someone explain to me the configuration I would need to do in order to get this work. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@Owen1,

Do you have two NICs on the laptop? I'm assuming that your just using automatic bridging on the VMware side of things if your running workstation? 

@BPry 

I have two NICs on my laptop, an ethernet NIC and my VMware is auto bridging to my WIFI NIC

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!