How to configure QoS with a limit per user

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

How to configure QoS with a limit per user

L0 Member

I am looking to configure our Palo Alto firewall to limit every user on our network (approx 5,000) to 10Mbs or less. I have a 1Gbit pipe. The documentation I have seen so far has shown how to do this for 1 person.

How do I set it up so that 1 rule covers every person?

Our users are spread across several vlan and IP ranges. Even if went through the tedium of setting up 5000 rules, 1 per peson, the bandwidth total will not balance (1Gbit is less that 5Gbit). However, not every user will be sending 10Mbit of data through all at the same time, so the total will end up being less than 1Gbit.

Any help would be appreciated.

Peter Truax

St. Martin's University

Lacey, WA

2 REPLIES 2

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

The only way I have ever set this up was to do it based on QoS for voice. But that doesnt limit a single user, it limits the total bandwidth. So potentially yes one user could saturate the link. This would be tough since QoS is applied on the egress.

https://www.paloaltonetworks.com/documentation/80/pan-os/pan-os/quality-of-service/enforce-qos-based...

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/Featured-Articles/Getting-Started-Quality-of-Service/ta-p/68633

If you have some heavy users, I would look into netflow and see who they are and if the traffic is legit. Then the interent use policies your University might have setup could help out.

Regards,

@Peter_Truax,

As @OtakarKlier menitoned this really isn't possible with the current QoS implementation on the firewall, nor is the firewall the best place to do this type of thing. 

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!