How to install VMware Tools for PA-VM 6.0.0

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

How to install VMware Tools for PA-VM 6.0.0

L0 Member

Hi, I downloaded PA-VM 6.0.0 and spun it up on a VMware server. I am trying to install VMware tools on it. Does anyone know how to do it? I have searched out that the VMware Tools is not compatible with PA-VM. Is it true tho? I cannot find any info from PaloAlto knowledge base.

Thank you very much.

1 REPLY 1

L7 Applicator

Customer access on any Palo Alto appliance is only via the firewall command line.  Access to the root on the system is restricted to Palo Alto support only.  You cannot add anything to the root vm including vmware tools.

According to VMware, best practice is to have vm-tools installed on appliances that companies offer for sale.  So we can hope that as the vm appliance business proceeds PA will start including vm tools in the load.

Best Practices for Building Virtual Appliances

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/Best_Practices_Building_Virtual_Appliances.pdf

Steve Puluka BSEET - IP Architect - DQE Communications (Metro Ethernet/ISP)
ACE PanOS 6; ACE PanOS 7; ASE 3.0; PSE 7.0 Foundations & Associate in Platform; Cyber Security; Data Center
  • 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!