How to utilize VM-Information source

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

How to utilize VM-Information source

L1 Bithead

All,

I'm attempting to alleviate some of the day-to-day operations that we do, and found that VM-information sources might be useful. I've got a test environment that can talk to a test vCenter and pull the attirbutes, but I'm not able to get the tags back from the server. Are tags a readable parameter for the Palo to use to build dynamic address groups? If so, what's that look like on the match criteria. the documentation is very sparse on how to build the criteria. I've found that notes are something that can be used, but tags would be more apt I think. Maybe not. Is anyone using this feature? Do you like it, not like it, is it ever troublesome, has it helped with Ops on a daily basis or is it still about the same as before you implemented? I know that's a lot of questions, I'm really trying to understand if this is where I should be focusing my efforts at.

Thanks,

John

2 REPLIES 2

L4 Transporter

Seems pretty easty to set up but I think the question here is then what do you do with it? I am also curious about this. I have reached out to engineering to see about setting this up and see if we can get a value add from this feature but the individual is out for the next few days. Will watch this space for anyone chiming in and will report back if I make any progress setting things up.

So I have made some headway into setting it up. It seems to read the notes from vCenter attached to the VM. If that's all it does, it's not as useful as I thought it was. but I think it can still be beneficial assuming you can populate the notes via Puppet, which is what the Systems team uses. *sigh* more to figure out. Please let me know if your engineer finds anything out, I'd be curious to see the use case for this feature. Thanks for the reply.

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!