IKE1 tunnel up without interesting traffic

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

IKE1 tunnel up without interesting traffic

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

i have configured the ike1 tunnel with ASA.

Right now there is no interesting traffic passing.

i initiated the traffic via cli to test the tunnel 

i see on gui under status - tunnel info and ike info both are green also i see tunnel interface is green

need to know how long  phase 1 and 2 and tunnel interface will remain up without interesting traffic?

MP

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.
2 accepted solutions

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@MP18,

The Palo Alto doesn't really care if their is interested traffic to form the tunnel, the tunnel will form regardless. It's more of an issue with the ASA, as the ASA will only attempt to bring the tunnel online if traffic is flowing.

That being said, to keep the tunnel up from the ASA side of things you need to add vpn-idle-timeout none in the group-policy attributes that you are using for the tunnel on the ASA. This will only work as long as the tunnel is up, as it tells the ASA to keep renewing keys. If that tunnel collapses for any reason, you will need to many bring it up via sending traffic acrss the VPN tunnel on the ASA. 

View solution in original post

seems tunnel interface is up by design

MP

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@MP18,

The Palo Alto doesn't really care if their is interested traffic to form the tunnel, the tunnel will form regardless. It's more of an issue with the ASA, as the ASA will only attempt to bring the tunnel online if traffic is flowing.

That being said, to keep the tunnel up from the ASA side of things you need to add vpn-idle-timeout none in the group-policy attributes that you are using for the tunnel on the ASA. This will only work as long as the tunnel is up, as it tells the ASA to keep renewing keys. If that tunnel collapses for any reason, you will need to many bring it up via sending traffic acrss the VPN tunnel on the ASA. 

so now i see tunnel info and ike info both status as red but tunnel interface on extreme right is up?

is tunnel interface up by design? even though phase 1 and 2 are down

MP

seems tunnel interface is up by design

MP

• 2 accepted solutions
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!