cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Impact of Rack Server Placement on Palo Alto Networks Firewall Performance

L0 Member

Hi everyone,

I’m currently setting up a new data center and am wondering about the impact that rack server placement might have on the performance of our Palo Alto Networks firewalls. We’re using a mix of physical and virtual firewalls, and I want to ensure that we’re optimizing their performance as much as possible.

Specifically, I’m curious about the following:

1. Rack Placement and Performance: The placement within the rack itself (top vs. bottom) usually doesn’t have a direct impact on performance in terms of latency or throughput. However, you’ll want to consider cabling lengths and proximity to your core network equipment to minimize any potential latency.
  2. Best Practices: Keep your network gear, including firewalls, as close to the core switches as possible to reduce latency. Also, ensure that your firewalls are in well-ventilated parts of the rack to prevent overheating, which can degrade performance.
  3. Cooling Considerations: Make sure that your racks are arranged in a hot aisle/cold aisle configuration to optimize cooling. This will help maintain stable operating temperatures for your firewalls, reducing the risk of thermal throttling.

I’d appreciate any insights or experiences you all could share!

0 REPLIES 0
  • 0 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!