IP Geolocation with Anycast IP addresses

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

IP Geolocation with Anycast IP addresses

L1 Bithead

Hi there,

I am wondering how geolocation is working with IP addresses where anycast is used.

Anycast addresses are shared by multiple server, typically with different locations.

How is such an address assigned to a particular country/region in the Geolocation DB?

Does anybody know?

Thanks,

Sylvia

2 REPLIES 2

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@Sylvia2,

I don't think there's any rhyme or reason for where these get placed. CloudFlare's 1.1.1.1 is currently listed in Australia, Google's 8.8.8.8 is listed in the United States, along with Quad9's 9.9.9.9. 

L6 Presenter

I see the same for various public DNS at the moment, though I have had problems with them changing in the past. So I created a custom region code "CDN" in Objects -> Regions and placed any kind of generic anycast/CDN addresses that I want to communicate with. Use my custom CDN region, in addition to standard country region codes, as the destination in outbound rules.

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!