cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

IPSec VPN issue between Palo and MS Azure

L6 Presenter

Hi Guys,

Having problems with a site2site VPN connection on a palo alto firewall. It seems to randomly drop and stop working. Sometimes it will stay up for days then drop and other times it stays up for about an hour and then drop. I have followed various guides from palo and Microsoft (this is a VPN to MS Azure) on how to configure it and as I say it works but seemingly decides to drop for reasons unknown.

VPN logs.png

Any ideas?

Thank you,

1 REPLY 1

L7 Applicator

So, we know the IPSEC tunnell is using IKEv2, as is stated here.

We also know that the error states "lacks KE Payload", So I looked for that.. and found this from:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4306

RFC 4306                         IKEv2                     December 2005

A CHILD_SA is created by sending a CREATE_CHILD_SA request.  The
   CREATE_CHILD_SA request MAY optionally contain a KE payload for an
   additional Diffie-Hellman exchange to enable stronger guarantees of
   forward secrecy for the CHILD_SA.  The keying material for the
   CHILD_SA is a function of SK_d established during the establishment
   of the IKE_SA, the nonces exchanged during the CREATE_CHILD_SA
   exchange, and the Diffie-Hellman value (if KE payloads are included
   in the CREATE_CHILD_SA exchange).

In the CHILD_SA created as part of the initial exchange, a second KE
   payload and nonce MUST NOT be sent.  The nonces from the initial
   exchange are used in computing the keys for the CHILD_SA.

It talks about there being an Optional KE Payload.  .. but the KE is the Key Exchange info..

And because the PAN is a "responder" in this IPSEC setup, it sounds like the PAN side is looking for the KE packet, but is not seeing it, thus not bringing the tunnel up.

I would recommend talking with the Azure end, and seeing if they have this configured or not.

At the same time, I would recommend you checking the Crypto settings and ensure that all values match for Phase 1 - IKE and Phse 2 - IPSEC.

It sounds like after you confirm this info, that giving support here a call and they can continue working with you if you cannot get the tunnel working.

LIVEcommunity team member
Stay Secure,
Joe
Don't forget to Like items if a post is helpful to you!
  • 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!