Moving BGP from Juniper router to PA 5410

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving BGP from Juniper router to PA 5410

L2 Linker

Hello,

I'm planning to remove some older Juniper MX routers from the network edge and move the BGP peer configuration to an Active/Passive pair of 5410s.  There are two ISPs.  For now I'm just hoping to replicate the Juniper setup on the PAs.  Right now the PAs statically route traffc to the Juniper where the BGP peers are configured.

I want to make sure I have all the necessary settings replicated and figure out if I can pre-configure the BGP peers on the PA before cutting over, without breaking the current routing.  If anyone has done a similar transition with BGP and has any suggestions, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@jeffrowan,

I'd probably just save a copy of the current configuration and then have a saved configuration staged with the changes for the actual cutover to BGP. That way you don't have to worry about anything going wrong and can just load and commit the staged saved configuration to cutover to BGP when you have your maintenance window open.

L6 Presenter

@jeffrowan wrote:

Hello,

I'm planning to remove some older Juniper MX routers from the network edge and move the BGP peer configuration to an Active/Passive pair of 5410s.  There are two ISPs.  For now I'm just hoping to replicate the Juniper setup on the PAs.  Right now the PAs statically route traffc to the Juniper where the BGP peers are configured.

I want to make sure I have all the necessary settings replicated and figure out if I can pre-configure the BGP peers on the PA before cutting over, without breaking the current routing.  If anyone has done a similar transition with BGP and has any suggestions, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Setting BGP up in Palo...less is more.  When you start to configure export/import/redistribution profiles means the firewall will do only what you configure.  If you configure none of this then Palo will share everything.

Take the time to review all areas of the BGP config.  There is 10+ areas availble when setting BGP up, so don't overlook all the config options.

Also be sure to enable ECMP if your 5410 will be connecting to 2 upstream or downstream routers at the same time (and you want both to be active/active)

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 101 Subscriptions
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!