New-old VM models

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

New-old VM models

L3 Networker

Hi All,

I have been updated with new information on "Colossal event" , but some things remain grayed...

Example, I have VM-100 almost five years in production environment and I see that it got muscles right now. So I have several doubts regarding my "old" VM-100...

What going to happend with licensing fee if consider resource increasing?

How to get this "muscles" (supposed upgrade to PAN OS 8...), but not only this? What is minimum profile resources (cpu, mem, disk...etc)?

5 REPLIES 5

L3 Networker

Hi Tician,

for the "new" VM-100 you need 6.5GB RAM, 2 Cores and min. 60GB HDD.

The licensing fee will not changed automatical with the Update, for Renewal please ask your Partner/SE

L3 Networker

For the vm-100 running pan-os 8 is 2 cores also the max, more cores wil be added to the (virtual) management plane

This is done to limit the througput. 

@Tician

A critical note:

You only get the perfomance win if u use in esxi : Single Root I/O Virtualization (SR-IOV) or PCI Passthrough of I/O enabled 

If you use the PA interfaces on a "normal" (d)vswitch the througput is even slower then the vm-100 on panos-7.1

max threat prevention througput  500 Mbps  in 7.1 it was 600 Mbps

App-id performance stays the same 1 Gbps

Does this mean that PCI passthrough is now possible with ESXi VMware edition? PCI passthrough was only possible with KVM before right?

@Gertjan-HFG

Yes , please check link  https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/members_discuss/message-id/48509

This release adds I/O enhancements through the support for Data Plane Development Kit (DPDK) for the
VM‐Series on KVM, ESXi, and AWS and Large receive offload (LRO) for the VM‐Series firewall on NSX.
Additionally, SR‐IOV is now supported for ESXi.

for more details read more detail on installation

hope this helps

@Tician i think good starting point

Thanks

That sounds really great.

-Derek

• 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!